Fatafat #ChannaMasala : This channa masala dish takes just about 15 minutes to prepare. The reason is that chana/chole/chick peas is out of a can , and also tomatoes are the canned ones( not tomato pure , but the variety where chopped tomatoes are available in a can). The only chopping is required is for the onion and coriander and slitting green chillies.
Channa (boiled) - 1 can (300g)
(can use 1 1/2 cups of soaked and boiled channa)
Onion - 1 big , diced
Tomato - 150gms (canned )
(Tomatoes - 2 fresh ones chopped into fine pieces )
Jeera/Cummin - 1 1/2 tsp
Ginger & garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Green chilies (slit) - 3
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 to 1 tsp ( depending on taste)
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Dhaniya powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Jeera powder - 1/2 tsp
Channa/Chole masala - 1 tsp
Amchur powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Chopped Coriander - 2 tbsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
1. Heat oil in a kadai and once hot add jeera. After it starts crackling add the slit green chilies and the ginger garlic paste.
2. Saute for 30 seconds and add the sliced onions and fry till it starts to brown. Cook at medium to high flame.
3. Add the canned tomatoes or freshly chopped tomatoes and let it simmer and reduce the heat to medium. If using fresh tomatoes let it simmer for about 4-5 mins till the tomatoes turn slightly mushy. If using canned tomatoes let the gravy to simmer for 2 mins and then go to the next step.
4. Add all the masala powders except for amchur and channa masala. Also add salt and mix until the powders are mixed with the gravy.
5. Add the chaana from the can with the liquid and close the kadai with a lid and let the gravy cook for 5-6 minutes.
6. When you get the consistency you are looking for, when the water starts to evaporate add channa masala and amchur powder and fresh coriander and take off the heat and serve.
This dish goes well with roti, puri, pulav or rice.
Add a dash of lemon for the extra tangy taste just before serving.
This gravy is on the tangier side, so if u prefer it to be less tangy or sour can avoid amchur powder.
Can also add some chopped onions on top for an added crunch.
Other recipes you might like to try